Guardianship or Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA)

A question parents need to ask is "How well does my child accept my guidance?" If guidance is readily accepted, your family might benefit by getting Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA) over your child's financial "estate" and/or medical needs.

Guardianship: You can get information about guardianship for your child through the Probate Court. Kalamazoo's Probate Court website can be found here. You will be responsible for the legal expenses, but it will be money well spent.

Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA): DPOA for your child's medical needs allows you to make decisions for medical care. You can also get DPOA over your child's estate, which is the money that will come in from Social Security Income (SSI) to help pay for his or her care.