Financial Support

Your child may be eligible for Supplemental Security Income, SSI, which is about $710.00 per month when they live independently and not in the parent's home or in an adult foster care home. You can apply for SSI through the Social Security website. In Kalamazoo, they are located at 3175 S. Drake Rd., phone number 269-381-2313. If your child/young adult is eligible for SSI, they will automatically be eligible for Medicaid (medical insurance). Some parents may need a lawyer to help them apply for these resources. Depending on your child's disability, he or she may be eligible for SSI upon turning 18, or possibly even earlier than that. Your child cannot have more than $2,000 in liquid assets but he or she can own a car and a home, though most of our children will not drive or own a house in their own name. Before applying for SSI for Max, I went through all my files and organized his IEPs, KCMHSAS Treatment Planning Reports, physician reports (from all specialties, e.g., orthopedic, psychiatric, etc.), any testing that was done, reports from any hospitalization, etc. When you go online to fill out an application, you will need this information. You will get an ID number to be able to start and stop the application (you don't have to fill the whole thing out in one sitting). After you have completed it, they will set an appointment for you to go into the Social Security office. Your supports coordinator will be able to help you with this process as well.